Friday 1 June 2012

It must be love!

The only time I wear contact lenses is for playing tennis. there are some multifocal daily disposables just out, and I was keen to try them. They seemed very rigid, and not that easy to get in, but were comfortable enough once in, and seemed very clear for near things. Not 100% sure about the distance, but not bad. I'm playing with Bulldog Russell against Ian and French Nigel. I'm expecting a close game, but BR turns to me and says "We should beat these two easily". Unfortunately, BR only has one volume setting, so this comment is clearly audible to anyone within a 100 yards radius, including our opponents. No pressure then. BR starts well, unlike me, but the game's nicely poised at 3-3. "We need to raise our game; we should be winning easily" is BR's version of an inspirational team talk. I ignore him, and my game does start to improve. We go 4-3 up, but they pull as back to 4-4. "We can't possibly lose to these two" says BR, volume control, as ever, stuck on full.The pressure seems to be getting to him, and he starts making a lot of errors. We do lose, 6-4. "Whenever I've played those two before, I've always won easily". Thanks, BR, it must be playing with me then.Talk about reverse psychology! I was pretty pleased with the lenses, although they were a bit tricky to get out. I'll try a different power next time to see if I can get even better distance vision. David Donner

No comments:

Post a Comment